Chulo is a popular slang terms in Mexico. Discover chulo meaning and how to use it on your next travel to Mexico.
The meaning of chulo
It is a Mexican term that refers to a person, thing or place of great charm, beautiful, attractive.
Chulo: examples of use
- “Esa playa está muy chula” – That beach is very chula (beautiful)
- “Ella es la chula de la escuela” – She is the chula (pretty) of the school
- Mexico es chulo – Mexico is chulo (charming, beautiful)
- “Pablo es un papi chulo” – Pablo is a papi chulo (papi chulo means: a man with charm or attractive)
But it also has other meanings:
Man who lives at the expense of his partner, freeloader.
Also it is an appellation to address a market or street vendor to a female customer:
- “¡Hola chula! ¿Qué vas a llevar hoy?” – Hey chula (pretty)! What are you going to take today
It also functions as an adverb and means good:
- “Enrique trabaja bien chulo” – Enrique works chulo (pretty good)
With information from the Mexican Academy of Language.
Lee este contenido en español.